Nagai Again
Nagai Again

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Getter Robo Armageddon Unanswered Questions (Spoilers)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
JMMedia

PostSubject: Getter Robo Armageddon Unanswered Questions (Spoilers)   2/24/2012, 10:00 am

Having watched this AWESOME OVA 6 times (3 in English, 3 in Japanese), I've accepted that many of the questions raised in the series simply don't have answers. The English script butchers what semblence of a plot there was, but due to the director changeover and the delays in production, many things are brought up that are simply abandoned even in the original script.

Who were supposed to be in the other two tubes that Saotome had? We all know one of them was Go, and the other two mutated into Emperor Gore and the Hyakki Empire leader, but who were they supposed to be? Saotome was shocked to see what they'd become, so that implies they were meant to be other pilots, maybe? Sho and Gai from the G.R.GO series? Considering Gai shows up later under other circumstances this seems unlikely, but we can assume that Saotome was growing pilots for Shin Getter, sooooo....

Ryoma and Hayato seemed to recognize Go, so was THIS version of him a clone? Why was he being grown in a tube? Where'd the original go, and if he existed, was he a Getter pilot at one point?

Ryoma DEFINITELY didn't recognize Gore or the Hyakki Emperor, so can we assume that the ONLY threat the Getter Team faced was the Invaders during the Moon Wars?

Was Michiru killed by two auto-piloted Getter Machines, or were there two pilots that died. Why did Saotome blame Ryoma and Co.?

And lastly... can ANYONE explain to me what exactly the good Dr. Saotome's plan all along was, how Stinger and Cohen fit in, and how ANY of it ties in to the Getter Emperor, briefly seen in the third and last episodes?

I know that this OVA was produced as a followup to an audio drama "Getter Robo: The Moon Wars". Since no translation of this exists ANYWHERE (hint hint, fans) very little is known about it, although I'd wager that very little in the way of story is explained...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NagaiAgain
WEBMASTER
WEBMASTER

PostSubject: Re: Getter Robo Armageddon Unanswered Questions (Spoilers)   2/25/2012, 2:00 am

First thing I just want to clarify. Yes it's a followup to the audio drama, The Moon Wars, however... the audio drama was made after the ova's release.

I can't answer most of the questions you ask here since Imagawa left the team after episode 3 rendering a lot of stuff unanswerable.

Saotome's plan is not really clear, but apparently he made Shin Dragon to avenge Michiru's death by attracting all the invaders to earth before blowing them all up, but got invaderised in the process. This made him switch sides and lie about the circumstances surrounding Michiru's death. For Stinger and Cohen, I haven't got a single clue. They come from some other Ishikawa manga and really don't seem to fit. All I know is that they got invaderised as well but then, they got a dose of Getter rays which enlightened them, which is rather weird... Don't Invaders hate Getter rays?

For the last episode, it's just mostly fanservice for those who read the manga. I doubt there's a deeper meaning to it. Jun Kawagoe, the director from episode 4 did the same thing in New Getter Robo where he showed Getter Emperor.

Anyway, I think this reviewer (R.Chiu) got a good explanation of the whole thing.
http://www.amazon.com/Getter-Robo-Armageddon-Power-Vols/product-reviews/B00006672C/ref=cm_cr_dp_all_helpful?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JMMedia

PostSubject: Re: Getter Robo Armageddon Unanswered Questions (Spoilers)   2/25/2012, 4:01 am

Wow. Stinger and Cohen were carryovers? Do you have ANY idea how we might be able to figure out which book that might be? Awesome trivia, there.

Also intetresting about Moon Wars being released afterwards. So they DID just kinda wing this thing.....

NagaiAgain
WEBMASTER
WEBMASTER

PostSubject: Re: Getter Robo Armageddon Unanswered Questions (Spoilers)   2/25/2012, 4:05 am

Cohen and Stinger are originally from Majuu Sensen and Shin Majuu Sensen manga.

Cohen

and Stinger...

There is also a Getter Robo manga in the same continuity as Armageddon. It was posted on /m/, but I don't even remember its name.

Last edited by SantaBla on 2/25/2012, 4:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JMMedia

PostSubject: Re: Getter Robo Armageddon Unanswered Questions (Spoilers)   2/25/2012, 4:38 am

if its what Im thinking, it was just a lone chapter that Ishikawa included at the end of the Saga Edition of Shin Getter Robo. It just sort of gave a brief BRIEF overview of the Getter Team's involvement.

Unless of course you're referring to yet something else, in which case THE HUNT IS ON!!!

BTW, great job on the Cohen and Stinger thing!

NagaiAgain
WEBMASTER
WEBMASTER

PostSubject: Re: Getter Robo Armageddon Unanswered Questions (Spoilers)   2/25/2012, 4:48 am

I'm not sure myself. Maybe I should ask /m/ again.

Anyway, you shouldn't thank me but GO, NAGAI GO! Most of the info comes from there!

Also, if you know any friends interested in Dynamic Pro discussion, bring them to this forum. That'd be great rabbit .
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JMMedia

PostSubject: Re: Getter Robo Armageddon Unanswered Questions (Spoilers)   2/25/2012, 5:06 am

Oh Im spreading the word. As an OBSESSIVE completist who DOESN'T speak or read Japanese, the only way I'll accomplish my goal of seeing/reading ..... EVERYTHING related to these series' that I love is to spread the fandom. Get more people actively involved

OnePixelJumpMan

PostSubject: Re: Getter Robo Armageddon Unanswered Questions (Spoilers)   2/25/2012, 12:45 pm

That manga you're thinking of probably is that lone chapter at the end of Shin. It has a brief moment of classic Getter Team each with their own Getter Robo fighting on the moon.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://onepixeljump.com
JMMedia

PostSubject: Re: Getter Robo Armageddon Unanswered Questions (Spoilers)   3/3/2012, 10:29 am

Just as a quirky tack-on to this thread, i was surfing around on the old ADV G.R.A. site on webarchive. Just based on the character bios and episode synopses, the translation team really DID seem to understand the story and I was surprised to see that in Go's bio, it says he is cloned from Genki and Michiru's DNA.

Musta missed that in the show. Does anyone know if it was spelled out clearly anywhere? My mind is a blur....

Anyways, its a neat looksee for Getter fans:
http://web.archive.org/web/20060423112002/http://www.advfilms.com/favorites/getterrobo/news/index.asp

NagaiAgain
WEBMASTER
WEBMASTER

PostSubject: Re: Getter Robo Armageddon Unanswered Questions (Spoilers)   3/3/2012, 10:33 pm

JMMedia wrote:
Just as a quirky tack-on to this thread, i was surfing around on the old ADV G.R.A. site on webarchive. Just based on the character bios and episode synopses, the translation team really DID seem to understand the story and I was surprised to see that in Go's bio, it says he is cloned from Genki and Michiru's DNA.

Musta missed that in the show. Does anyone know if it was spelled out clearly anywhere? My mind is a blur....
No, not Genki Saotome. You meant the DNA of Professor Saotome and his daughter, Michiru Saotome. It was spelled out in episode 7. It's also the reason why Go keeps saying he'll protect Genki to her own bemusement, considering he's both a father and an old sister to her.
Quote :

Anyways, its a neat looksee for Getter fans:
http://web.archive.org/web/20060423112002/http://www.advfilms.com/favorites/getterrobo/news/index.asp

Wow.
All I can say, holy shit, anime was pretty expensive back then. Still is in Japan though.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JMMedia

PostSubject: Re: Getter Robo Armageddon Unanswered Questions (Spoilers)   3/4/2012, 3:09 am

Wow. The site says Genki. THAT explains why I didn't remember that. Ugh. So much for me giving the site a lot of credit. lol.

NagaiAgain
WEBMASTER
WEBMASTER

PostSubject: Re: Getter Robo Armageddon Unanswered Questions (Spoilers)   3/4/2012, 9:04 pm

We don't actually know Dr. Saotome's first name. This is probably the reason ADV messed up.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Anony

PostSubject: Re: Getter Robo Armageddon Unanswered Questions (Spoilers)   3/7/2012, 12:01 am

Quote :
>Ryoma DEFINITELY didn't recognize Gore or the Hyakki Emperor, so can we assume that the ONLY threat the Getter Team faced was the Invaders during the Moon Wars?

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's the case. Those two things having their appearance seemed like a cameo basically.
Back to top Go down
NagaiAgain
WEBMASTER
WEBMASTER

PostSubject: Re: Getter Robo Armageddon Unanswered Questions (Spoilers)   3/7/2012, 12:53 am

Anony wrote:
Quote :
>Ryoma DEFINITELY didn't recognize Gore or the Hyakki Emperor, so can we assume that the ONLY threat the Getter Team faced was the Invaders during the Moon Wars?

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's the case. Those two things having their appearance seemed like a cameo basically.

But I think the names of Gore and Burai are said again in a later episode. I'm not sure which one. Hence I believe that Ryoma did recognize them, but just didn't want to say anything about it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Anony

PostSubject: Re: Getter Robo Armageddon Unanswered Questions (Spoilers)   3/7/2012, 9:39 pm

Quote :
But I think the names of Gore and Burai are said again in a later episode. I'm not sure which one. Hence I believe that Ryoma did recognize them, but just didn't want to say anything about it.

I think I remember now, was it in the last episode, in that "hurr durr memory" speech? I think that might have been an error on the later director's part, because outside that it really seemed to me that the Dinosaur and Hyakki Empires don't exist in Armageddon.
Back to top Go down
NagaiAgain
WEBMASTER
WEBMASTER

PostSubject: Re: Getter Robo Armageddon Unanswered Questions (Spoilers)   3/8/2012, 2:55 am

I don't think I ever understood the memory speech anyway.

From what it's said, memories are the origin of evolution and are also Go's Energy, and that's what Gore and Burai lacked? They're also what Dr. Shikishima saw before his death and it's what Saotome was also looking for?

While I don't think it makes much sense, it does feel like the manga, especially the last part of Getter Robo Go which was just mind boggling.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
JMMedia

PostSubject: Re: Getter Robo Armageddon Unanswered Questions (Spoilers)   3/8/2012, 4:04 am

I guess that solidifies it then. The Hyakki and Dinosaur Empires had to exis in some form. Maybe Ryoma and Co. never met them in person and didn't know who they were when they met in Armageddon until years later when Saotome's plan was revealed a bit more.

Okay, it's not much but I tried.

the Shin Getter Robo Saga one-shot Armageddon prelude chapter (try saying that again) doesn't make any hints about them, but if you want to take it as canon (and I mean, why not? Ishikawa did it) to the series, it treats things as if the Getter Team HAD been somewhat established by the time of the Moon Wars.

JMMedia

PostSubject: Re: Getter Robo Armageddon Unanswered Questions (Spoilers)   3/8/2012, 6:13 am

File this under "JMMedia's random info":

Google translated from the Japanese G.R.A. site:

Premonition of horror - Shin Getter Robo Gaiden moon ten years war
(Sold by Ayers Publisher: Bandai Music Entertainment) (currently does not sell)
Hot battle that began from here.
Missing a story of fierce fight is revealed now!
In the first episode drama CD was reproduced in a sound world of war and then were given moon well. The cast of the OVA series voice actor is in charge.
Price AYCM-666: 2,913 yen (excluding tax) (released 1999.06.21)

Dunno if that helps anyone with anything but.. hey for the first time ever, Getter Robo: The Moon Wars info translated!

and.....

Shin Getter Robo Visual Book (published by Hobby Japan)
Passionate story of the first story film interview, Shiryoshu set, Seki Tomokazu & Akira Kamiya. Mook was recorded and this "war on Earth to the Moon" a new comic newly written original author Ken Ishikawa further.

Price: 1,429 yen (excluding tax)

Apparently the Ishikawa Armageddon manga appeared here first in the "Shin Getter Robo Visual Book" before eventually being added to the Getter Robo Sage Ed.

JMMedia

PostSubject: Re: Getter Robo Armageddon Unanswered Questions (Spoilers)   3/8/2012, 8:00 am

This also seems to imply that the Getter Line was rolled out with the specific purposes we saw in the manga/ anime. Underwater combat being part of it, I can't imagine Getter Poseidon being of much use ON THE MOON, so one could be led to believe that the Getters were built for different purposes.

Under the "Getter Robo G" section of the Armageddon website:

"Getter Dragon
In preparation for invasion of the invader, were produced as mass-produced Getter Robo. Combined in the form of a first order deformation called Poseidon, issue, issue, issue, dragon liger. This time appeared as a getter of evil."

While talkinga bout the dragon, the particular picture shown alongside that statement is of the Getter G, which, as we know, became part of the Shin Dragon. It'd make sense if the original Getter Robo and Getter team came together for the purpose of beating the Hyakki and Dinosaur empires, and, like the above says, the Getter Robo G mass-produced line was rolled out in anticipation of the Moon Wars.

Food for thought...

BlackRaiden

PostSubject: Re: Getter Robo Armageddon Unanswered Questions (Spoilers)   3/8/2012, 12:45 pm

Getter Robo Armageddon, just like every other Getter series, is a stand alone with its own take on the story. The Dinosaur and Hyakki Empire don't exist/never happened and the only enemies were the Invaders with the origin story being the Moon Wars. Just think about New Getter where neither of them exists [sure they fight demons but its not the Hyakki Empire].

The reason Ryoma and the others "recognized" Go is because they thought it was Michiru at first [his face does look a lot like Michiru's, especially the silhouette, just more boyish].

Gore and Brai, as well as Cohen and Stinger, were just cameos and not the only ones either. In one scene [don't remember when] you finally get to see the picture inside Schwatrz [did I even spell that right o.O?] necklace. If you pause it juuust right and look veeery carefully you notice its Mary King [the sister of Jack King who pilots Texas Mack].

I'm also pretty sure that in the same episode they show up Hayato mentions that Gore and Brai were clones of him and Ryoma genetically altered with Getter Rays but who is who is never mentioned. Dr. Saotome freaked out because the cloning process failed and they turned into hideous monsters. He cares a lot for Go because he's a clone of Michiru and he doesn't want to fail her again.

Considering how Cohen and Stinger smiled while everyone else freaked out when Michiru died, I'm pretty sure that gives you the hint that they were already or were always Invaders and planned it all. Heck I'm betting they were the reason Michiru got infected or that they caused the malfunction. Probably the former since the Dr. mentioned that everyone knew about a possible malfunction in the system but they weren't sure what it was [now how the heck is that even possible is the bigger question >_>].

Getter Ray is and isn't the Invaders weakness. Since its the very source of evolution/life itself its also the reason why they exist and when the humans started "playing" with the Rays it only helped them learn. The more Getter Rays they absorbed the more they would evolve but they had to be careful not too overdose on it or they would evolve themselves to death. The Invaders on Earth didn't gain a big enough immunity to survive the attacks but the ones on Jupiter did.

The "memory" speech actually made a lot of sense. In order for a species to actually grow and evolve it must learn and have a strength of will. The proof is in Go because his strength is that of a father [Dr.] and daughter's [Michiru] love as well as his own for daughter/sibling [Genki/Kei]. Even if the Invaders could think they only cared for power and acted instinctively like mindless beasts, just like Gore and Brai. When the Team reject Cohen/Stinger they proved their own worth [that and their just badasses that way so F the rules of the universe].

The one thing I agree on that is a bit wonky is Dr. Saotome himself so I'll try my best to maybe explain what I think. Even if the Invaders were defeated in the Moon Wars the Dr. probably had a feeling that something would happen so he continued with his research. Cohen and Stinger were there to "support him". Michiru's death probably happened after the Moon Wars because in the Drama CD she's still alive and in that One-Shot by Ishikawa the Team sure didn't act depressed. When she died he knew he was right. He probably also finally figured out about the Invaders and Cohen and Stinger. They wanted him to continue his work so they would get stronger but he knew it was the only way to stop them so this time he decided to go all out like they wanted and make the Shin Getter and Shin Dragon and planned for the upcoming battles [Go]. However he probably knew that he was succumbing to his own madness and that the Invaders were going to come after him so he did what he could. Hayato killed him because he thought he was going insane and trying to destroy the world. He and Shikishima figured out about the return of the Invaders and tried to continue the work on their own but realized they couldn't so they resurrected him through dark magic. He decided to carry the burden by himself even if it would make him into the villain. Tl;dr? Dr. Saotome is the biggest dang con-man in existence and he fooled everyone.

Phew long post is long o.o.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JMMedia

PostSubject: Re: Getter Robo Armageddon Unanswered Questions (Spoilers)   3/8/2012, 2:28 pm

Nice input! It must be a testament to Armageddon that people still care about its story this much when.. well... it wasn't really story based. GREAT show, though!!

BlackRaiden wrote:
The one thing I agree on that is a bit wonky is Dr. Saotome himself so I'll try my best to maybe explain what I think. Even if the Invaders were defeated in the Moon Wars the Dr. probably had a feeling that something would happen so he continued with his research. Cohen and Stinger were there to "support him". Michiru's death probably happened after the Moon Wars because in the Drama CD she's still alive and in that One-Shot by Ishikawa the Team sure didn't act depressed. When she died he knew he was right.

Out of curiosity, what else do you know about the Moon Wars drama. Its kind of the Getter holy grail. I'd TOTALLY self-fund a translation of it....

NagaiAgain
WEBMASTER
WEBMASTER

PostSubject: Re: Getter Robo Armageddon Unanswered Questions (Spoilers)   3/8/2012, 10:29 pm

Thanks for the input BlackRaiden. It's very appreciated.
JMMedia wrote:
Nice input! It must be a testament to Armageddon that people still care about its story this much when.. well... it wasn't really story based. GREAT show, though!!
True, but Armageddon does seem to have a lot of unattainable background information so you sort of have to come up with your own conclusion as well.

The Moon Wars drama came after the OVA anyway. I guess it was used to explain Armageddon, but obviously, the OVA wasn't based on it for its story.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BlackRaiden

PostSubject: Re: Getter Robo Armageddon Unanswered Questions (Spoilers)   3/9/2012, 3:33 am

JMMedia wrote:

Out of curiosity, what else do you know about the Moon Wars drama. Its kind of the Getter holy grail. I'd TOTALLY self-fund a translation of it....

I don't know much about the Drama CD except that its about the Moon Wars and that it is a Holy Grail XD. I was looking up Getter songs when I stumbled upon a DL link of it [I know please don't kill me ._.]. I don't know Japanese but sometimes they mentioned the names of characters and such so I could figure out who was who. From what I could get from the reactions they seemed surprised at the return of the Invaders so either they were ambushed and the Moon Wars is "The Final Battle". Musashi and Benkei are already in the group and I think one or both of them got injured. Michiru was also hanging out with a girl, whose name either I don't remember or was never mentioned, probably her best friend in this continuity but don't recall if she survives. They get attacked by the Invaders and fight back. Just as things are getting bad the Getter Team shows up and saves the day. That's all I remembered. I accidentally deleted it [OH GOD WHY?!! DX] and the DL link I got it from is useless because it was from MegaUpload [and we all know what happened to them].

Putting that together with the stuff that's mentioned/happened in Armageddon and it makes sense and according to the show Michiru's death was suppose to be an ordinary test flight.

How I would LOVE a translation of that Drama CD too T_T.

Well I love Getter Robo Armageddon since it was my first taste of Getter and I actually enjoyed it =P. I'm more curious of what is everyone's reaction to the English Dub. Every time I see a video of it I see people complaining about the dub being horrible and stuff and it feels like I'm the only one who actually likes it more than the JP Dub ._. If its the translations then sure they effed up on that but if its the voice acting I actually enjoy it more in the EN Dub because it has more power, emotion and impact which suits the show. Ryoma's JP VA didn't quite work out for me in this one though it was his first time as Ryoma and he did do a faaar better job in "Shin vs Neo" and "New Getter".

And let's not forget Dr. Saotome's EN VA [you get to see him in the VA Commentary that comes with the DVDs]. Sure he looks all nice and clean and happy but the minute he starts voicing Dr. Saotome his whole face and being literally morphed on camera and he was practically him. Just ruffle up his hair, add lab coat and tadah! Instant Dr. Saotome. It was a "Oh God its Dr. Saotome! The Getters and Invaders are real! We gonna die!" moment. It was scarily awesome XD.

JMMedia

PostSubject: Re: Getter Robo Armageddon Unanswered Questions (Spoilers)   3/9/2012, 4:29 am

The dub was filled with really, really energetic performances. I agree that a lot of the voices were well cast.

Hell, English Cohen and Stinger OWN those characters! Saotome, Ryoma, Benkei... good stuff, all.

The problem lies in the terrible script and poor dialogue direction. Some of the lines come out laughable because the English VAs stretch the words out to fit the flaps and... ugh. Its a shame too, because it could have been a classic dub if handled better!

Sorry to hear about the DL link. If ANYONE.... ANYONE... knows of a way to procure this, I, JMMedia, will spearhead and fund the English translation!

JMMedia

PostSubject: Re: Getter Robo Armageddon Unanswered Questions (Spoilers)   3/15/2012, 1:38 pm

If the Japanese wiki is to be believed, Moon Wars came with the Japanese remastered DVD!

Also, it says that Cohen and Stinger are based on characters named er.... Dr. Shaft, and... Dr. Barubia from Majuu Sensen. I wouldnt take those names too seriously but its interesting to know the characters were altered.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Getter Robo Armageddon Unanswered Questions (Spoilers)   Today at 8:51 pm

Back to top Go down

Getter Robo Armageddon Unanswered Questions (Spoilers)
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next